Cold Ashton Nursery 3

On the first of July I said I would return to say something about the detail in the bottom right corner of this painting; how I got to the top image from the one below it. I mixed up three pools of different colour and applied them more or less randomly with three separate rigger (long, thin) brushes – not the one shown in the bottom image. When I had done that to my satisfaction – i.e. enough long thin leaves, but no more – I then mixed up a black from Paynes Grey and a touch of Venetian Red and dabbed in just sufficient patches of deep shadow between leaves to give some depth. The bigger leaves in the foreground I did with a larger round acrylic brush and practised the strokes first on a spare piece of paper.


~ by noelgarner on July 9, 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: